This stuff I love... good work. One thing maybe to add is a PanelManager class, so that you can close all panels or allow a panel to be brought to the foreground programmatically.

Dimitrios Gianninas
RIA Developer
Optimal Payments Inc.

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of jeremy lu
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 9:12 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: >< Re: [flexcoders] Re: Is there a third-party or opensource market for Flex components?

actually I'm currenlty working on several custom flex2 controls to be used in a project, some of those include:

GridTree (datagrid + tree)
Resizable Panel (with double click and resize handler)
Multi-Toolbars (office xp style toolbars)
MDI bars

and there are more on the todo list (gush...), say like spotlight search controls.

after finishing those components, I could say it's much easier now to create custom controls in flex2, especially when the language itself it's a lot faster now.

btw, laszlo calendar seems very interesting, will considering make one after I clean out the todolist :P

jeremy.

On 3/10/06, mmthm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

> Are speaking of Flex 1.5 or Flex2?

I'm particularly interested in Flex2, but since it is so new, i was
just interested in whether there was already an established component
community.  It sounds like third-party

> If you are speaking of Flex 2, it would almost be virtually
impossible to
> use a no-flexframework component in a Flex app.  You would have to
implement
> so many things.

I was not implying that the components should not use the Flex
Framework (i agree that they would probably have to), i just was
interested in component controls/widgets that are not provided out-of-
the-box as part of the flex2 framework (like the components of the
type given in my example).

> I have been working on  many custom components for Flex2, some that
you have
> mentioned. Since we are still in beta1, so are my components. I
have a
> feeling, the third party component market will exlode in 1 year(not
> mention open source components).

So i will just have to wait a while:-)

> There are just to many things a good developer could make for
clients that
> even competition will be mute on some components becasue they are so
> specailized.
>
> It's not like the Flash component market where any one and their
brother
> could put up a cheesy site and say they "sell components".
>
> There is another angle here that I think clients will want and that
is a
> standardized documentation presentation. I think any 3rd party
developer
> that can create fantastic docs for their components will be a
success(IE
> following the path of Adobe's docs to begin with).

I agree that well structured and documented code and API is important.

> Anyway, it's funny this list does not talk about 3rd party
components more,
> but I am sure they will be when Flex2 goes public. Flex2 is
components and
> that in itself makes this a great market to do great things in.
>
> Peace, Mike

Thanks again Mike.