This came up cause I was configuring my Flex 2 app to communicate with ColdFusion, but I suppose it applies to RemoteObject in general.  In order to tell your app the location of a web service destination, we're told to add something like this to the compiler command line:
--services=C:\CFusionMX7\wwwroot\WEB-INF\flex\flex-enterprise-services.xml
Now, my first question is, since the file flex-enterprise-services.xml resides on the server (be it ColdFusion or FES) and you typically don't do your client development on the same machine as the production server, how would this work in the general case?

Anyway, so then I decided to copy the file to my development machine and then manually changed "localhost" to the server's IP address in the channel configuration.  I compiled my app and it worked fine.  But now it appears that the server's address is compiled directly into the swf.  Are we unable to dynamically assign server addresses at runtime?