I didn't know you can poll in a separate thread without interrupting the GUI process .... I'm exploring if what I need to do is possible in Flex 2 before I actually plunge into it, so my knowledge of Flex is minimal at this point (I'm working on the backend stuff still... but looking ahead for possible roadblocks)

I take it that it is possible to do that in Flex... if so, case closed! At least for now... I'm sure I'll need to transfer binary data in the future (and encoding it into ascii to send back over XMLSocket would be less desireable than writing a custom push protocol on top of binary socket) but for now, I'm happy with polling (if it works as advertised, i.e. without blocking user interaction)

Manish Jethani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 3/17/06, dos dedos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be awesome if it works for "near realtime" polling ... I'm not hitting a central server when polling... the screen refresh requests go to a local Python server running on the user's desktop.. Load is not an issue ... The interval would be like 1 sec..

So what's the problem with polling every N seconds?  What are your concerns?

Manish