Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I’m limited to using either web services or http. Remote Object though interesting, requires Flex Enterprise Services, and out of my budget as the project will scale to multiple servers. The project is also a hosted one, so server side costs have to be kept down so that our pricing can be competitive. The only real way I know to do this is eliminate licensing (SQL Server, Flex Enterprise etc..) That require a per server license.

In order to keep the DB Server licensing down we have decided that storing the final data in an xml format would be optimal from a cost stand point, and satisfactory from a performance stand point.

We are using .net web services for the back end, the db is only used for xml file lookup based on a passed guid and indexing. Because each xml item has a unique guid we only send the updates/requests over the wire not the entire xml file. The web services handle the updating of the master xml files. Each company/user has a specific master file set in order to keep them relatively small.

Relationships between company/user/xml files is defined in yet another set of xml files. Using the windows file system is many times quicker then db access, and offers a direct read performance gain. Using specific file pointers etc gives us optimal server side performance.

            No DB connection overhead (except lookup and indexing).

            Easy and cost efficient clustering

            Direct access for file reads/writes

            Much lower infrastructure costs

Etc.etc.

Theoretically a server could handle many more times the transactions, and you can do more with less, in comparison to other options. However that said, it does have it’s downfalls and limitations as well.

Jason