I didn't entirely understand your answer, but now that I tried this, it works, and your answer made more sense:

var pendingCall = myService.someMehtod(arg:Type, arg2:Type);
pendingCall.resultHandler = resultMethod;

The RemoteObject, myService is being created in the main app, this code is being used in a component. So I see that the scope issues are taken care of automatically, which is nice. The reason I am doing this is because my services will be passed into each component by the main app, so if different components need to call the same methods, I need local result handlers.