awesome! thank you ... now i can see the light at the end of the tunnel

--
p.s. one day they'll have intravenous documentation and ignorance vaccines for platform n00bs

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
There are good examples in the docs for this.
I haven't tested this code but generally you can do something like ---

myItem.contextMenu=generateContextMenu();// set the context menu

// generate the context menu
public function generateContextMenu():ContextMenu{
     var menu:ContextMenu=new ContextMenu();
     menu.hideBuiltInItems();
     var item:ContextMenuItem=new ContextMenuItem("tester");
     menu.customItems.push(item);
     item.addEventListener(ContextMenuEvent.MENU_ITEM_SELECT,itemHandler)
     return(menu);

}
//handler to handle the press
private function itemHandler(event:ContextMenuEvent):void{
trace("the menu item was hit");
}