From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of dos dedos
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 2:26 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: Flex 2: about "potential" HTTPService timeout/security issues ...

Thanks for this clarifiaction on the timeout. I think I'll have to implement timeout to  end the HTTPService request if there is no data being exchanged for xx number of seconds.

With respect to the potential security issue, I'd like to POST XML via HTTPService to a .cgi server running on a machine other than the one the Flex app is served from. Do I need to have a crossdomain.xml at either side? or  am I free to interact with any server via HTTService?

Thanks!

dos

Dave Wolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The player is simply piggy backing on the HTTP stack of the browser.
I think you will find in most cases the browser will detect the half
dead socket when data is moving on the socket and generate an error
HTTP status back.  Things get a little harrier when you have an idle
yet persistent connection.

This gets even more tricky if you are running a cluster of servers to
support high availability, etc.

In any case, for what you are describing,  I think you wont have to
work on doing this yourself.  It should be very easy to test.

--
Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.

Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: 866-CYNERGY

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, dos dedos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Relating to the potential timeout issue, I think most likely
HTTPService doesn't timeout on its own....

> However, my Java application could crash and reboot so I would have
to make sure HTTPService would time out if it's loses connection with
the server... No idea how to do that yet ...