Sorry, I can't help. this might give you ideas.
I was trying this little test out based on your code.
var x:XML = <Plan
        xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
        xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>
        <ChartLabel>1406238</ChartLabel>
        <Industry>MANUFACTURING</Industry>
        <IndustryOverride/>
        <PlanName>a</PlanName>
        <PlanNameOverride>b</PlanNameOverride>
        <PlanNumber>1406238</PlanNumber>
        <PlanSizeGroup>50-149</PlanSizeGroup>
        <PlanSizeGroupOverride>d</PlanSizeGroupOverride>
        </Plan>;

plans_ac = new XMLListCollection(XMLList(x));

this populated the datagrid as long as i didn't have the namespace

xmlns="http://domain.com/BackOffice/DocumentMetadata"; in the xml.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sure, my returned data is a list of nodes like this:
>
> <Plan xmlns="http://domain.com/BackOffice/DocumentMetadata";
> xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
> xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
> xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";>
>    <ChartLabel>1406238</ChartLabel>
>    <Industry>MANUFACTURING</Industry>
>    <IndustryOverride/>
>    <PlanName/>
>    <PlanNameOverride/>
>    <PlanNumber>1406238</PlanNumber>
>    <PlanSizeGroup>50-149</PlanSizeGroup>
>    <PlanSizeGroupOverride/>
> </Plan>
>
> and here is the code I use to populate my XMLListCollection object:
>
> var x:XML = new XML(event.message.body);
> namespace docResponse
= "http://domain.com/BackOffice/DocumentMetadata";;
> use namespace docResponse;
> dmws = x..Document;
>
> plans_ac = new XMLListCollection(x..PlanData.Plans.Plan);
> tf.text = plans_ac.toString();
>
> And here is my DataGrid:
>
> <mx:DataGrid dataProvider="{plans_ac}" x="71" y="116" width="545"
> height="146" showHeaders="true" id="planList_dg">
>          <mx:columns>
>              <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Plan Number"
> dataField="PlanNumber"/>
>              <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Plan Name"
> dataField="PlanName"/>
>              <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Industry"
> dataField="Industry"/>
>              <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Group Size"
> dataField="PlanSizeGroup"/>
>          </mx:columns>
>      </mx:DataGrid>
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "bhaq1972" <mbhaque@> wrote:
> >
> > Can you show us what your webservice returned data looks like.
> > dont know if this helps but my webservice returned data was a
string
> > and i did the following
> > private function returnWebService(event:ResultEvent):void
> > {
> >  var xmlobj:XML = new XML(event.result);
> >  var xc3:XMLListCollection = new XMLListCollection
(xmlobj.children
> > ()); //in my eg, xmlobj.children() populated the dg
> >  dg.dataProvider = xc3;
> > }
> >

> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"
> > ben.clinkinbeard@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello, I am populating an XMLListCollection with the results
of a
> > > WebService call (in AS, not MXML), and setting that
> > XMLListCollection
> > > as the dataProvider for my DataGrid. I can see that it is
binding
> > the
> > > data, because if the XML contains 5 nodes, I can roll over 5
items
> > in
> > > the DataGrid. The problem is that the DataGrid doesn't display
the
> > > content of the nodes, they're just blank roll overs. If I write
> > > something like this:
> > >
> > > plans_xmlcoll.getItemAt(2).PlanNumber out to a textfield, the
value
> > > shows up, so I know it is there. My DataGrid column whose
dataField
> > > value is set to PlanNumber shows nothing, however.
> > >
> > > Why would the data not be showing up in the DataGrid?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ben
> > >
> > > PS - I take it the resultFormat of a WebService called via AS
is
> > > automatically (and unchangeably) E4X? Why do
mx.rpc.soap.WebService
> > > and mx.rpc.soap.mxml.WebService have different capabilities?
Heck,