My best practice for now is:

mx.core.Application.application.dispatchEvent

using this syntax will always work.

On 4/24/06, Tim Hoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I had a similar issue with the ap that I'm working on.  When the
user clicks a search button, I dispatch an event that triggers a
command to get data, update the model and change the view.  However,
I also needed to calculate summary fields (count, totalAmountDue)
once the data was retrieved.  Hmm, to dispatch another event or
not.  In this case, I decided just to call the second command
(calculateTotals();) from the onResult function of the first command
(getData();).  My thought was that since I was already in the
command abstraction layer (verbs), I could simply just do something
else, without having to go back to the view to dispatch another
event.  It seems to me that you want to keep apples with apples and
oranges with oranges.  I'd be interested to know if there is a best
practice concerning how to do this in cairngorm.

Tim Hoff

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "JesterXL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been using Cairngorm in Flex 1.5, haven't used C2 in Flex 2
yet, thanks
> for the link!
>
> In that case, yep, have to do what Alex suggested.
>
> As far as maintainable code, you can extend a Cairngorm Event
class (or you
> own), and attach a callback function to it.  Your Command classes
can then
> call this function when they are done.  This will allow the View
who
> dispatched the command to know when it's done, and immediately
call another
> one, etc.

Cairngorm 2,
> instead the built in dispatchEvent() should be used:
> http://weblogs.macromedia.com/swebster/archives/2006/02/index.cfm
>
> OT - My messages appear with several hours delay on the list. Does
> anyone know why?
>
> Andi
>
> JesterXL wrote:
>
> >You don't need that if you are using Cairngorm's
EventBroadcaster; it has