Hi, Peter
It's good that we have at last normal exception handling in 8.5 beta.
But it's only beta for now and we are creating apps using Flex 1.5. So
the question is "How we can fight silent exceptions death in Flex 1.5
???".
I have some ideas but to realise them i have to rewrite all flex 1.5
framework and i think it's not acceptable.

Waiting for reply ,
Max
--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Farland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi Mykola,

>     Have you used the debug versions of the Flash Player during
> development? The debug version of the Flash Player reports uncaught
> exceptions and it also traces information to a flashlog.txt file as
long
> as you have a mm.cfg file setup in your user directory. We include
debug
> versions of the Flash Player (i.e. the Standalone Player, the
> Firefox/Netscape/Opera plugin and MSIE Active-X player) in the Flex
> installer. We include them for the same reasons that you state -
> "without having proper error reporting it is impossible to build
> anything larget than hello-world presentations". Flex Builder has a
> visual debugger with breakpoints and watch statements. Also AS3
Error
> objects remember their stacktraces and you can print them out if
you're
> using the debug player. We built the Flex 2 framework of over 1000
> classes using the same tools as you would to build your own
> applications... I feel that they are adequate.

>     Regarding the confusion, it wasn't that important - it was just
that
> from my reading the various posts on this thread I got the
impression
> that there were two complaints here that were at odds with each
other.
> One complaining they couldn't manage errors coming from lots of
> different places and the other that they weren't getting enough
errors
> and related information at runtime.

> Regards,
>     Pete
>
> ________________________________

On
> Behalf Of Mykola Paliyenko
> Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:24 PM
> To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Uncaught exceptions in Flex 1.5
>

> Ok Peter,
> no idea why you've been confused but...
> ActionScript specification has a notion of throwable objects, so
saying
> that Exception is a bug of the AS2Lib is slightly incorrect. I'm
> relaizing that due to the size constraints of the player it might be
> good idea not to include exception handling in it, but once more
again
> you can add this in the development version of the player and this
> should be extremely easy to do if the overal palyer's architecture
is
> good enough, isn't it?
>
> My opinion is that without having proper error reporting it is
> impossible to build anything larger than hello-world presentations
with
> a very good quality, so I'd warn people to treat Flex/Flash as a
really
> serious platform unless this feature will be implemented.
> Flex Developers in my company mostly are very unhappy with the
quality
> of the framework and the level of the support Adobe provide for the
> users, I'm not saying about paid support I'm saying about community
> support, feature requests, bugfixes, open source frameworks around
Flex
> etc. I see no other way for developing the really good product other
> than involve the community into the development. It is the way lots
of
> really cool stuff were developed for the last year and it is mostly
> ignored by Adobe.
>
> You have a great idea of RIA and a great high performant player, if
you
> make a great product it will be an "all win" situation. The only way
> make a great product is to make it more open to the contributing
than it
> is now. IMHO but it is proven many times in Java world
> So do not just throw away comment from such crazy guys like me,
Maxym,
> Sergey and lots more, all we want is to make the platform we are
using
> better, and do trust me without responding to the real feedback from
> developers any technology will shortly become outdated.
>

> On 4/24/06, Peter Farland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>       Mykola, I'm slightly confused by your post in contrast to what
> Sergey and Stanislav originally said.
>
>       I read Sergey's post as that he was having trouble with uncaught
> exceptions and had to add a lot of code to catch and possibly ignore
> such errors. I read your post to mean the opposite of this in that
the
> uncaught exceptions were important at development time because if
they
> were silently caught and ignored it would be hard to diagnose what
the
> problem was.
>
>       As Matt said, in general for our data services framework code we
> tend to not throw exceptions but instead funnel everything through a
> fault event mechanism. If you run into exceptions in our Flex
framework
> code then it may be a bug and should be reported with a reproducible
> case or at the very least a stacktrace. If these exceptions are due
> non-Flex framework code then either its a bug in that 3rd party code
or,
> as Matt suggested, the number of entry points that need to be
checked
> can be reduced by centralizing the calling code.
>
>       Finally, the behavior of uncaught exceptions isn't determined by
> Flex - it's a feature of the Flash Player virtual machine and how it
> handles ActionScript.

txt