Hi all,

How would you go about building a chat application with Flex2 & Flex
Data Services.
- Multiple users
- 1to1, many to many
- Java Backend
- Needs to keep track of connected users ( and a reference to them )
- Server to Client invocation of custom methods

Using RPC services gives me a Client to Server call sequence, but not
the opposite. Plus, it does not allow me to keep a reference ( in a
stateful server side application ) to the client connections.

Using messaging... well, I have push. but... what else?

Basically, I need something analog to the functionality that I would
find in these FMS2 features:
- application.onConnect()
- application.onDisconnect()
- client.call()
- Remote SharedObjects
-  the ability to keep a reference ( Client Object ) to all connected clients

But with the robustness and extensibility of a Java App ( a la Red5, but Today )

Can this be done???
approaches?

We also have a license of FMS2, but I only want to use it for
streaming media, as AS1 is not an allowed development language in my
customer's infrastructure and is difficult to interface with other
things ( namely Avaya Comm Manager and LDAP ). Of course we could use
webservices to talk to a Java app, but that's too much overhead.
I once found a FCS to Java connector, somewhere.. but seems like beta
code. Not acceptable either. ( is there a production release of this
connector ? ).

Thanks,
Aldo

--