I also have a need to have a datagrid as a dropdown.

matt's suggestion (previously to me) was to to subclass ComboBox and
override the dropdown getter.
However, i have never been able to get the dropdown getter to be
called (my trace() never shows)

<mx:ComboBox>
<mx:Script>

override public function get dropdown():List
{
trace("XXXXXX");
return super.dropdown; // only for test purpose
}
(if i could only get the override to be called, i reckon i could get
it working).

the dropDownFactory doesnt work because thats flex2beta1.

I tried Anatole's suggestion, it works (as a starting point) but i
can't get over the fact that i want a datagrid as my dropdown (where
the width of the dropdown is far larger than the combobox width
itself).

my use case for this is people want to see the 'code' and a full
description of what the code represents (sometimes description alone
isn't enough)

over the weekend i saw someone using a billing system software
(created a Barclays (UK) bank subsiduary... cant remember exactly
who) which had this feature.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "raghuramab" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I already tried that. Including trying to assign the property in
AS