What does your mm.cfg file look like?

The following settings work general trace output and error reporting:

ErrorReportingEnable=1
TraceOutputFileEnable=1

The following setting works only in the debug version of Flash Player 7
(i.e. that that shipped with Flex 1.5, not the normal, non-debug player,
such as Flash Player 8 from our website) and is only relevant to Flex
1.5:

TraceLocationEnable=1

Also I believe this was still relevant in Flex 1.5... the
flex-config.xml file <production-mode> and <optimize> settings should
both be set to false when trying to use the debug player with trace()
statements.

If you need more then I suggested working with fdb to debug your Flex
1.5 app at runtime. I believe that with all of these approaches (and in
my opinion even without many of them) you can build successful
applications that are more complicated than a "Hello World" application.

As stated earlier, in Flex 2.0 this will not be necessary because it
will use AS3 with Flash Player 9 - the debug version of this player will
ship with Flex 2.0 and will show stacktrace information with errors etc.