Not sure which version you are using, but in Flex 2 Beta 2, I also have
a component that extends the UIComponent.

When you say you are using the drawing API, I presume you are doing
something like this:

this.graphics.clear();
this.graphics.beginFill(0xff0000);
this.graphics.drawRect(-25, -25, 50, 50);

One thought is that you may not be setting the line color or line width.
Is that a possibility? Make sure you have something equivalent to this:

c.graphics.lineStyle(1, 0xff0000);

-Mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM