Is it true that Laszlo is interpreted on the server? That you cannot produce an .swf that will run offline? That would be a deal-breaker for me..

Scott

On 3/29/06, dos dedos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<<
(eg. one markup generating either AJAX or Flash)

As far as I'm aware, there are multimedia functions that can be done in Flex that cannot be done in Ajax. e.g. capturing audio and video streams from the user's PC, mixing audio streams, and other stuff that are not possible (yet) in _javascript_.

Also, the crossdomain stuff in Flex is intriguing to say the least ... you can grab data with a distributed architecture (without having to go thru a centralized server) while at the same time neutralize potential distributed attacks and unauthorized behind-the-firewall proxying by giving control to the server owner, so Flex is not any more risky to use than AJAX but a lot more powerful in a distributed scenario.

However, I think the bottom line is that Flex does not suffer from browser 'dependency' which is probably the #1 anti-productivity factor... developers develope to one standard and deploy on all platforms. Flash player has 98% market penetration which is probably higher than AJAX (since there are many browsers including Mac OS X Safari that do not digest AJAX that well .. I tried stuff built with the Zimbra AJAX toolkit under Safari and it just wouldn't run.. the same stuff ran well under firefox and ie.. so AJAX has a compatibility problem that based on my observation [using different browsers] is larger than 2%)

I really don't care for AJAX :-) and it shows in my argument ... but I tend to think that unless _javascript_ catches up with Flash in terms of functionality and unless _javascript_ standard is controlled by one central authority then Flash will always be more viable for 'most' cases.

I understand AJAX is more viable for certain cases but my interest is more in very rich apps, which justifies choosing Flex over AJAX.

Also, there is no binary socket in AJAX!  :-) ... XML doesn't do it for custom data protocols!

Yet with all these arguments in favor of Flex (from the perspective of very rich apps) we're still having to conduct a formal analysis and put the pros and cons of Flex and AJAX in simple to understand "demos" for those 'technically clueless' folks higher up and that's because AJAX has managed to become such a strong buzzword now that knocking it down can and will get you in trouble unless you can back it up with evidence...

Enough thoughts? more to come as we run through the scenarios ...

Richard Rodseth <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
I haven't used OL, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned their
support for alternate runtimes (eg. one markup generating either AJAX
or Flash). I would imagine that might appeal to those for whom the
non-open-source nature of the Flash player is an issue, or those who
have other concerns about the player dependency.

Thoughts?

- Richard

: : ) Scott