I found the answer, but I took a convoluted route to get there.

If folks from Adobe are reading this, it would be great if this info was more visible in the docs. i.e. flex2_quickstart.pdf gives complete examples of how to use HttpService, WebService, and Data Management Service, but Remote Object to an arbitrary POJO isn't covered.

Here is how I found the answer... I dug around in the Flex Data Services directory and saw a file called flex.war.  I then did a google search on "flex.war tomcat", which brought me to http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex:Install_Instructions, which answered my question.