I am working on a version of adding generic sorting on my class that
extends DataGrid.  The "placeSortArrow" method of DataGrid is marked
as protected, so I can call the method, but the arrow will never show
up because sortIndex has to be set and is marked private.  In
addition, I can't set some of the other needed variables (i.e.
sortDirection on the dataGrid).

So I went back to a simpler example...  I tried the version in the
docs to see if the arrow appears, namely:
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/labs/1/flex20beta3/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00000608.html

With code like this, what is the recommended way to add a sort arrow?
Do I need to reimplement the wheel (so to speak) by creating a sprite
and figuring its location, or is there a better way to do this by just
calling a method on the dataGrid?

Thanks!
-scott