>Does Flex require installing Flash Pro?

No, but you might want to have Flash around for writing other SWFs that can
be loaded into Flex

>Can Flex run on a machine that does not have Flash?

Flash "the player" or Flash "the development environment"?  Technically yes,
you can install Flex and run Builder on a machine that does not have Flash
player or IDE, but you won't be able to view your applications without the
player.  Flex 2 Beta 3 applications only run in the latest Flash 9 beta
player.  Flex does not require the Flash IDE be installed at all.