Alright, got a stumper...least for me.

Most basic graphical skinning with the Flash exporting of swc involves
the base assets - datagrid, combobox, button, etc. Right, so checking
out the base ComboBox assets - there's only skinning for the base
control (the dropdown arrow control on the right) but I need to alter
the actual textInput section (aka text_mc in code). But then looking
through all the assets....there's no text field assets. So how do I
alter the base text movieclip of the comboBox?

As of livedocs (http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/15/flex_docs_en/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Flex_Documentation&file=00000581.htm):
"The following table lists Flex controls and their master skin
symbols. In addition, it specifies the programmatic skin files, if
any, that you edit to reskin this symbol. All the components listed in
this table can be graphically reskinned using the Pulse theme files
described in Skinning resources."

TextInput or any variation isn't listed.

The closest idea I've come to this is the follow:
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/mx2004/main_7_2/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=Flash_MX_2004&file=00002857.html
The idea is to customize the RectBorder class with your
extension....but I'm not even sure this is possible in Flex.

Now all that aside, when you set a ComboBox's property of
editable=true it uses the text input instead of the normal skin. Is
there a way to get that look *without* changing the editable property?
I'm going to be digging away at this but anyone that has delved into
this please help out :)

Really wish flex 1.5 had the framework classes like flex 2 does....