I'm trying to get FDS to connect to a CF gateway and getting nowhere

[MessagingError message=Unknown destination 'ColdFusionGateway'.]
      at mx.messaging.config::ServerConfig$/getChannelSet()
      at mx.messaging::MessageAgent/mx.messaging:MessageAgent::initChannelSet()
      at mx.messaging::MessageAgent/mx.messaging:MessageAgent::internalSend()
      at mx.messaging::Consumer/subscribe()
      at Flex2CF/initApp()

it's as if the Flex gateway can't see the CF gateway.

comparing flex-enterprise-services.xml and flex-message-service.xml
settings with others shows up nothing out of the ordinary.

is there something I can do (on the comand line perhaps) to debug
this? throwing the simpliest of mxml at it only gives me a big fat
error....

thanx
barry.b