Tom,
    1. Code loading: That is just proves my point - developers have to do
the tricks to increase probability the code gets downloaded. Imagine you
have 1MB+ of code to take care of - size of your average Flex app while
still in beta. I do not think we had a problem with code loading or
pre-compiling on the first apps or when code base was small. It's just
reaches that point in few years.
    2. Connectivity : means an ability to guarantee timely delivery of the
data.
That requires an ability to diagnose the problem and swich to alternative
delivery methods without getting the application code involved. Ability to
efficiently deal with limited number of streams available (2) , bundling of
the requests, timeouts, 1.1 vs 1.0 connectivity, proxies and routers,etc.
You can take/build framework and resolve 90% of the problems - that does not
make it 100% robust - control of HTTPRequest is just too limited for that.

Here is a quick test:
1. Build sizable AJAX application
2. Pull a plug for few secs/nix/damage some random incoming / outgoing
streams, make them hang with keep-alive  - simulate real Internet case
scenario
3. See if it recovers - if it does it means it is robust.

Thank you,
Anatole