Mike and Tom thanks for the input.

firstly, I tried using clipContent before but doesn't work.

if i was dealing with fixed widths and set the
horizonatalScrollPolicy 'off', i can achieve the effect i was
looking for eg

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; xmlns="*" >
        <mx:HBox width="300" height="100" backgroundColor="yellow"
horizontalScrollPolicy="off">
        <mx:Button label="number1" width="225"/>
        <mx:Button label="number2" width="85"/>
    </mx:HBox>
</mx:Application>

But as i'm not dealing with fixed button widths, i had to think of
another way to get this effect....hence paddingRight=-15 and some
kind of contentClip.

As i'm only dealing with layout, i would have thought something
would work out of the box. Adobe???

I'm willing to try your suggestion of a mask, if you can gives us a
few ideas on how to do that thanks.

regrds
bod

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schmalle"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I don't think the layout algorithm  takes negetives into account.
>
> I didn't mean it doesn't use the negetive padding, just it doesn't
calculate
> the 'measured width' right when laying out the mask for the
container using
> a negetive padding with a percentage.
>
> Ah, to hard to explain right.
>
> Peace, Mike
>
> On 6/15/06, Michael Schmalle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > For you to understand the problem you need to understand how the
HBox lays
> > it's children out and uses viewMetrics.
> >
> > The reason this is not working is because since you specified
75% width,
> > the container will calc the .75 of the width minus anything that
is static
> > IE your button 2.
> >
> > When you say paddingRight = -15, this kind defines the logic of
the
> > layout.
> >
> > For some reason, when you specify -15 for paddingLeft, the
content on both
> > sides then get clipped.
> >
> > I am not Adobe, but I would venture to guess this cannot be done
right
> > now. Not saying this is a bug but, I don't think the layout
algorithm  takes
> > negetives into account.
> >
> > You could always subclass HBox and create a mask over it and use
> > borderMetrics to size the mask.
> >
> > Peace, Mike

> > > clipContent ?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Tom Chiverton
> > >
> > > ****************************************************
> > >
> > > This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.
> > >
> > > Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered
in England
> > > and Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered
office address
> > > is at St James's Court Brown Street Manchester M2 2JF. A list
of members is
> > > available for inspection at the registered office. Any
reference to a
> > > partner in relation to Halliwells LLP means a member of
Halliwells LLP.

www.halliwells.com.

> > > We are pleased to announce that Halliwells LLP has been voted
AIM Lawyer

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM