Jason,
 Thanks. I guess I just got mixed up since it's a little unnatural to
instantiate a class to call a method that should be static! Also,
adding text to the "errorString" field automatically sets everything
red....here's my method should anyone search upon this message at a
future date:

private function validateField() : void {
    var emails : Array = toField.text.split(",");
    for(var j:uint=0; j < emails.length; j++)
    {
       var emailVal : EmailValidator = new EmailValidator();
       var valResult : ValidationResultEvent =
emailVal.validate(emails[j]);
       if(valResult.type == ValidationResultEvent.INVALID)
       {
          toField.errorString="'" + emails[j] + "' is not a valid
e-mail address.";
          return;

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM