I would sayif you know what you are going after,

EVERYTHING in Flex can be skinned with your custom styles and layers.

Make custom skin sets. If you read what Adobe has said quite a bit, they designed these components for extensibility and thus, some things are not implemented and are left up to the developer to extend.

Which when you get deeper into the years with Flex, you will thank Adobe for taking that path.

Peace, Mike