From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of hank williams
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 9:01 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] app startup / load times

On 7/3/06, Richard Kroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hank,
> One thing you have to keep in mind is that Flex 2.0 is tailored to web
> *applications* instead of to web sites.

This is the rub. I am doing an application, but I am debating as to
whether to put the intro stuff into a separate flash app so that the
"website" part of my stuff can open more quickly. Most applications
still need the website-ish stuff to tell the user why they should care
and what the app is.

Basically I am wondering whether I really need to go through that
extra effort of making a separate thing in order to improve startup
performance. I *really* dont want to. I am lazy. And flex would allow
me to do that intro so much easier. But if the startup time is really
annoying to people I dont want to loose potential users because the
startup was too slow.

Now that flex is mainstream, I am sure lots of people are dealing with
or thinking about similar issues so I just wanted to get peoples
thoughts. I'm really hoping people will convince me not to worry about
it, but I am open to being convinced that I need to do a two stage
site.

When a user starts up a typical
> application, a 8-10 second delay prior to the application to start up
is
> not an unusually long delay for startup. Most Flex apps that I've seen
> to date are starting up in the 3-5 second range, which I believe is
> completely acceptable.

I agree that 3-5 seconds is totally ok. I have no idea what the real
world experience will be for most people and 8-10 seconds was just a
guess based on file size and guesses about the low end of average
connection speeds.

Regards
Hank

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM