Bjorn
  You are spot on. It is not building the directory - at least not in
the right place
So although I am setting defaults of
flex root folder: C:\CFusionMX7\wwwroot
flex server url: http://localhost:8500/

It is actually writing the bin folder to the default for the project
contents viz. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Flex
Builder 2. As if it was a basic project. The beta had no problem
splitting the two folders

So if I now have a URL of
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Flex%20Builder%202/test/bin/test.html
the page works

Alternatively and the right approach presumably, I can create a new
output folder (test/bin) in the wizard. Otherwise there is a warning
that the output folder is not a subfolder of the server root

Then I can successfully run
http://localhost:8500/test/bin/test.html

However, I did not previously go to that page. Unless there's
something specifically odd about my setup I'm not at all clear why
Adobe do not default the bin directory to the server root. I
definitely did not need to go through this rigmarole in the betas

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM