Ok, obviously I haven't built big enough apps yet to run into the problems you and Jesse have. I've had to do something like that in one app actually where I had multiple instances of the same window created, I would send a ref of the view to the command so it would know which window instance to update afterwards.

Dimitrios Gianninas
RIA Developer
Optimal Payments Inc.

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim Hoff
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 2:06 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Cairngorm Responder interface changes

Thanks Dimitrios,

I like the more direct approach, but I don't think that this would be the most effective way to handle asynchronous events.   What I'm considering is extending the Responder all the way back to the View, through the FrontController.  They are, after all, where the CairngormEvent originated and was sent first.  The FrontController has a reference to the Command, so it could accept a responder.  The Responder to the view would have to be created.

Pros:

The permanent stop at the Command from a Delegate wouldn't be removed, but rather used to condition the response back to the view.  Everything else works the same in the Command.  All re-usable data is dropped-off at the ModelLocator.  The command then conditions a response that includes the state of the call result.  Things like size, number of Objects, format, or anything that the developer wanted to know, would be added to the Responder and sent on its way.  Rather, the event would be modified.  Back at the View, local state would be adjusted accordingly when the CairngormEvent is completed.

Cons:

A race condition may occur with the ModelLocator binding to the view's state and the local update of state from the View itself.  Also, a reference to the original CairngormEvent would need to be maintained by the View and the FrontController.  This would possibly add weight.  Less than the Command, Delegate, and Service, but weight just the same.  Would also add script to all views that care about a response.

I think that this approach has a more standardized feel. Does this sound like a viable idea, that doesn't stray significantly from Cairngorm?

-TH

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "JesterXL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dude... do you know how many "results" we have in our app?
>
> I agree, this'll work for small Flash projects, but not for Enterprise Flex
> apps. You can't just start willy nilly throwing small state vars on
> ModelLocator for things like this; it'd get out of control, pretty quick.
> Granted, you can easily sanction it off in a new StateVars specific class,
> but then you have to keep track of updating those variables in your
> commands... no thanks, I'd rather have it baked in.

AVIS IMPORTANT

WARNING

[...]