If you'd need more than just the name, you can put any object into the button.data field and retrieve it as event.data in the listener function.

Tim

On 7/14/06, meathead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks a bunch. This totally works. Boy, was I ever going down the
wrong path.

Here's my working code in case any other newbie comes accross this.

********CODE**********
// so far I've set up an array to return data from XML and am
//looping thru adding buttons where needed.
if(arrSection[i].MLSEID != null) {
var btn:Button = new Button()
btn.label = "MLSE Info";
btn.x = intX;
//I'm adding a 'prefix' to the button id because there will be other
//buttons I'm adding and theroretically the same ID could be used.

btn.id = "MLSE" + arrSection[i].MLSEID;
btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, ShowMessage);
btn.y = intY;
can.addChild(btn);
intY += 30;
}

public function ShowMessage(event:Event):void
{
//this is just a test to see if I can pass info.
//Parsing and further coding would happen here.
Alert.show (event.currentTarget.id);
}

*******END OF CODE**********

Just to note, the Flex builder intelisense will not pick up the
button properties.

Thanks,
Aaron

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Tom Chiverton <tom.chiverton @...>

wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 July 2006 22:13, meathead wrote:
> > So I'm setting up buttons on the fly via actionscript and I want
> > pass an ID number based on which button was selected. I was
going
> > to use an addEventListener for the click event of the newly
created
> > button, but then I saw this on the live docs
>
> Set the name of the button to the id, and look in
event.currentTarget in you