Although I have not installed any PHP plugins, I have had much better luck installing plugins into the Flex Builder than installing Flex Builder into Eclipse.
When installing FB into eclipse it seemed that several little things didn't work right, like keyboard shortcuts, etc...  This annoyed me, so I switched back to the stand-alone version.

I haven't had any issues with other plugins installed into FB stand-alone.

HTH