> package
> {
>     import mx.controls.TextArea;
>
>     class MyTextArea extends TextArea
>     {
>         protected override function createChildren():void
>         {
>             super.createChildren();
>             textField.selectable = false;
>         }
>     }
> }
>
> And then use <view:MyTextArea /> instead.

Thanks.  I think I have this setup properly but now I'm getting a

"The prefix "view" for element "view:myTextArea" is not bound"
compiler error.

Is there something I'm missing so Flex can recognize my new class?
The class is packaged in with all of my other .as custom classes.  I
can include it and recognize it in the Actionscript, but this view
command doesn't seem to be working in the mxml.