I believe the Operation.result property was changed to Operation.lastResult
in Beta3 and has been there ever since.  If you check the help (Language
Reference) in Flex Builder and look up mx.rpc.soap.Operation you'll see
where it lists...

   lastResult : Object
   The result of the last invocation.

under public properties.

As for updated documentation... to my knowledge everything that's packaged
with Flex 2 final is up to date.

Not sure where you found the old example code.  According to this labs page:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex
Flex content isn't hosted on Labs anymore since final shipped, except maybe
for stuff like Cairngorm and the Ajax bridge.  I'm sure if you posted the
link to the old sample code, someone somewhere might do something about it
:-)

Darren