Yes, I'm not sure of the specifics myself but from my exploratory
rummaging in the docs it looks like FDS handles all of that mapping.
As I am using .NET on the server it looks like manual deserialization
into my objects is the way forward.

I have begun implementing my app with the factory methods you
suggested and all appears to be working well. Shame I can't get the
object mapping without using Java/FDS. Perhaps once I have got to
grips with it a bit more I might look into writing some sort of
component for the web service users amongst us, which , judging by the
volume of posts on this group regarding web services, amounts to a
fair few folk.

Cheers

Graham

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is a decent chance I am wrong about this but I think when you
> use RemoteObject with FDS you set up some sort of Java <-> AS class
> mapping in a config file.
>
> Ben
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "grahampengelly" <graham@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Ben & Franck for your help. Like you Franck I couldn't see why
> > it would work to cast one completely unrelated thing to another but
> > this is the way it appeared to be being done in the samples.
> >
> > Of course, what I hadn't got to grips with is that the two samples
> > that I was studying are both using RemoteObject rather than WebService
> >  calls and consequently are returning something that can be cast...
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Graham
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"
> > <ben.clinkinbeard@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Nothing definitive here but I do have a couple of suggestions. Any
> > > time I see ObjectProxy mentioned in an error description, I
> > > immediately wonder if makeObjectsBindable is at fault. Try
setting it
> > > to false on your WS and see what happens.
> > >
> > > Personally, I always use e4x as my resultFormat (for various
reasons),
> > > so I don't have experience casting to a custom object but if you do
> > > end up needing to use Franck's suggested methodology I would
certainly
> > > recommend creating a factory that will accept the SOAP return values
> > > and return an instance of your custom object.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Ben

> and have
> point