The documentation has most of this covered... See this topic on
creating Advanced Visual components, and all the sub-topics. Read
several times. Example is in there too.
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/00001721.html

This page specifically has an example on overriding the layout
mechanism of the VBox container:
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/00001737.html

Here's a thread in flex-coders discussing the "correct" way to
dynamically add child components to a custom container:

That should be enough to get you going (if you read, try, re-read, etc...)

good luck!
Thunder