This approach seems like it could be extremely useful for me as I am
starting to build a lot of larger projects, but I have a quick comment.

Forgive me if I am off base here, but is there a mistake in the code
example? I am new to Cairngorm so bear with me for a moment.

According to your example, you call the event like so:

CODE
---
var addEvent : WidgetEvent = new
WidgetEvent(WidgetController.EVENT_ADD_WIDGET, widgetVO);
dispatchEvent(addEvent);
---

But, in the Controller, the EVENT_ADD_WIDGET constant, in keeping with
Cairngorm practice, equates to the following string: "addWidget"

So, my question is this, if the WidgetEvent expects a parameter of
commandName, which in this case would be "addWidgetCommand" (Again,
assuming you are using best practice), then how does the application
call the correct command?

Is it because the FrontController automatically maps Events to
Commands? I'm a little confused.

-K