Hi Mike,

Thanks -- the only thing is, those methods do not (for me) control
the ordering of drawing, i.e. not which one is on top.  They do
control the z-order, but not the drawing order.

I recall someone's earlier post that while ActionScript 2 did allow
an easy way to control the drawing order, i.e. which items are on top
of which other ones, that ActionScript3 does not and that I have to
override the updateDisplayList function, but I'm not sure what
updateDisplayList does _now_ that I would have to duplicate while
adding my own functionality.

Any help appreciated.....

Jeremy

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schmalle"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> getChildAt()
> getChildByName()
> getChildIndex()
>
> all IDisplayObjectContainer interface methods and properties.
>
> &
>
> setChildAt()
>
> work great for setting depth along with the property numChildren
>
> [0] == top
> numChildren - 1 == bottom
>

> Peace, Mike
>
> On 9/1/06, jeremyrichman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   I've been trying to do just this -- the z-order as you say has
> > nothing to do with the order of drawing, i.e. what ends up on top.
> > What function do I need to override or create in order to control
the
> > drawing order? (I've tried updateDisplayList but haven't been able
> > to make that work.)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeremy
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com <flexcoders%
40yahoogroups.com>, "Ralf
> > Bokelberg"
> >
> > <ralf.bokelberg@> wrote:
> > >
> > > The z-order is determined by the position in the display list of
> > their parent.
> > > Unless you control the drawing by yourself, this is not
necessarily
> > > the order in which things are drawn.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Ralf

IDisplayComponents
> > are
> > the
Graphics.xxx

> > > --
> > > Ralf Bokelberg <ralf.bokelberg@>
> >
> > > Flex & Flash Consultant based in Cologne/Germany
> > >

> --
> What goes up, does come down.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional