This was not designed as a controlled experiment, just something I coded,
noticed, and thought I'd pass on...

I'm building a small Cairngorm application and one of it's functions is to
display two sets of network user accounts in two datagrids.  Initially I
used a WebService to call a Coldfusion CFC that returns simple Query objects
pulled from an Oracle database.  Datagrid 1 retrieves and displays about 400
accounts, and datagrid 2 about 3000 accounts.

Using a WebService the retreival time appeared to be about 2-3 seconds
(roughly based on the amount of time the showCursor clock was spinning)
before the result handler fired, and the render time to fit the data into
the grids was approximately another 6-7 seconds.

I just converted all the RPC calls to RemoteObject calls and now the total
retrieval AND render time is well under 2 seconds total.

Retrieval time is faster (the spinning cursor is almost non existent) and
the render time is insanely fast.  I'm guessing that AMF and not needing to
parse thru the SOAP return payloadmade the difference.  Pull back a simple
boolean with either type of RPC call, not so much, but pull back 3500
records and you *definitely* see a difference with RemoteObject.

Darren

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: