God @(#$& do I not so much enjoy being at the bottom of a learning
curve. I can't fathom why putting the .send() into a function which is
called when my button is pushed didn't occur to me but, well, it
didn't. Thank you Tracy!

The second piece that I am now probably doing something very stupid
with is the format of the data and traversing. I haven't used XML a
LOT but I understand the basics of dot notation and have the Flex
'Traversing XML Structures' document printed for reference.

I have been able to populate combobox using the labelField and
dataProvider when the HTTPService is default format (object). However
I am trying to do a lookup in the XML based on the item a user selects
from that combobox and populate a second combobox with details of
children of that selected element. According to documentation if the
HTTPService is set as XML or e4x the following syntax should work in
the Change event:

{XML_PostCode.lastResult.Prov.City.Streets.(@streetname ==
cmbStreet.selectedLabel).NumberRangeLow}

Any attempts I did to 'stub' the HTTPService and use mx:Model or
mx:XML just went very badly for me. Any help would be appreciated.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Spratt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am not sure I understand "because you don't know which feed to pull at
> runtime".
>

> Using AS code you can change the URL of the HTTPService call and invoke
> send() at will.
>

> If you need to keep track of which result goes with which send, you can
> use the ACT pattern, that allows you to set and retrieve data in an
> AsyncToken.
>

> Tracy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional