Hi Derrick,

 From the quick test I did, it /is/ an issue. I too looked into
modifying the URL. I was going to use ANT to automate it all,
incrementing versions, and changing URLs but I've since abandoned that
plan. Here is what I'm now doing...

I have a couple of different library projects that store shared code
bases at different levels of abstraction.

I have a primary or shell application, a Flex project in Flex Builder,
that is responsible for loading and managing modules. It references the
libraries as well as the Flex framework with Link Type set to "Merged
into code". This way only what is needed from the libs is actually
pulled in.

I've been experimenting with different scenarios for my modules.
Currently, my modules are Flex Projects. Originally I had them linking
to my library projects with Link Types set to "External". But, this
presents a problem. Say the module uses a DataGrid but no where in the
shell application is DataGrid referenced. When the module is loaded the
DataGrid does not exist and a runtime exception occurs. I decided to set
the Link Types to "Merged into code" and use the -load-externs compiler
flag that points to the shells link report. Unfortunately, I can't get
the -load-externs to do anything. The module SWF is still rather large
even when I pull all of its dependencies into the shell.

I'm probably not doing something right. Maybe the link report can't be
used as-is for the -load-externs flag? Not sure.

Derrick Grigg wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> That is exactly my concern. I haven't been able to test the RSL
> caching thoroughly but experience tells me it will happen. I was
> hoping that I could somehow modify the url that the RSL uses but I
> have not found a way to do that. I am starting to think that what may
> be required is a seperate swf that duplicates the RSL contents, but
> gets loaded from a command in the application, as opposed to some code
> that the compiler generates. That would allow modification of the URL
> to prevent against caching.
>
> Derrick
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Paul Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Certainly. The caching issue I'm referring to is when a new RSL SWF is
>> published and pushed to a server the end user may not immediately see
>> the new SWF. Or, more accurately the users browser may load the old
>> version of the SWF from the browser cache and not the more recent from
>> the server.
>>
>> Does that make sense?

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional