<mx:WebService id="MyWS" showBusyCursor="true" wsdl="http://whatever">
           <mx:operation name="MyFunc" result="onMyFaultResult(event)" fault="onMyFuncFault(event)" />
</mx:WebService>

That's all you need to do to connect.You can use AS but the mxml makes it so easy I have yet to try the AS. :-)

Also, ServiceCapture is your friend. It will show you Flash Remoting calls, WS calls, HTTPS calls, etc. This thing is magic when dealing with RPC's.

http://kevinlangdon.com/serviceCapture/