Nice work, Andrew. It sure illustrates the flex-ibility of the dataGrid.
I am not entirely convinced that the dataGrid is the best way to go
though... I mean for a pro-component. I think a combination of datagrid
(or tree) and canvas could be easier down the road. By this I mean, once
you get into drawing dependency lines - as an example - (which can go
across multiple rows either up or down, backwards, and sometimes around
objects) a grid and the itemrenderer could face a hard time.  I believe
there is a colleague of yours at cynergy, by the name of Karl Johnson,
who has done some work on this subject too - I am sure he can offer some
valuable input as well. Have seen some earlier posts coming from him...
Hey, don't get me wrong, thanks for putting up these samples - really
appreciate this kind of "pro-bono" work; this is very helpful to study,
especially for newbies like myself.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Trice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/andrewtrice?entry=gantt_charts_
> in_flex_datagrids
>

> _____________________________________
>
> Andrew Trice
>
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
>
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>

> Blog: http://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/andrewtrice
>
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Office: 866-CYNERGY
>

> ________________________________

On
> Behalf Of Andrew Trice
> Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 5:18 PM
> To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: RE: [flexcoders] gant chart
>

> If you want a full gantt chart with dependencies and links to other
> tasks, yes this is a huge undertaking. If you just want a visual
> display of a duration over time it is not so difficult.
>

> The datagrid approach can easily represent something like:
>

> [[]]--------------------
>
> --[[]]------------------
>
> ----[[[[]]]]------------
>
> -----------[[[[[]]]]]---
>
> -------------------[[[]]
>

> (hopefully flexcoders doesn't kill the formatting on that)
>
> _____________________________________
>
> Andrew Trice
>
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
>
> http://www.cynergysystems.com <http://www.cynergysystems.com>
>

> Blog: http://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/andrewtrice
> <http://www.cynergysystems.com/blogs/page/andrewtrice>
>
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Office: 866-CYNERGY
>

> ________________________________

You
> need a:
>
> -GantChart
> -GantSeries
> -GantChartItem
> -GantSeriesRenderData
> -GantRenderer
>
> Just to name a few :) I've got a Gantt chart abou 49% done but haven't
> had time to crank on it....but as Ely said at MAX, people would kill
for
> it if you finished it and released it.
>
> On 10/20/06, Andrew Trice [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
>
> You could create itemrenderers for a datagrid that utilize the drawing
> API to draw the horizontal lines for your data.
>

> For instance, have a grid like this:
>

> Column 1: task name
>
> Column 2: duration
>
> Column 3: start date
>
> Column 4: item renderer that draws out task length with respect to
width
> of column. Use the drawing api to draw lines/rectangles to represent a
> duration of time.
>

> You could also have a custom datagrid column header that uses the
> drawing API to draw a scale for the time shown in column 4.
>

> Using a datagrid component for this also keeps it very easy to get
data
> into your Gantt chart.
>

> _____________________________________
>
> Andrew Trice