Thanks Igor - but that generates a further error. In any case, I need
to be able to enable/disable other buttons on the bar based on which
button is clicked on etc... won't this approach only permit the
enabling/disabling of the currently clicked button on the bar ?

It's looking like perhaps the ButtonBar isn't the best thing to use
here... this does seem like a bit of an oversight though - if you
can't enable/disable buttons on the bar it's pretty awkward in a lot
of instances.

Anyway, thanks for taking a look - much appreciated.

Jamie.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Igor Costa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try that.
>
> The problem it's because the buttonBar doesn't have the getChildAt
> properties it's only reserved to Containers. If you want to use that you
> have to create new a new override the mx.controls.buttonBar.
>
> But in other way you can try that.
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <mx:Application
>  xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
>  layout="absolute"
>  width="100%"
>  height="100%">
>  <mx:Script>
>     <![CDATA[
>         import mx.messaging.management.ObjectName;
>         import mx.utils.UIDUtil;
>         import mx.core.UIComponent;
>         import mx.events.ItemClickEvent;
>         import mx.controls.Button;
>
>         [Bindable]
>         private function setAble (event:ItemClickEvent):void
>         {
>             var noAble:Object = this.enabled = false;
>             Button(event.index = noAble.item);
>         }
>     ]]>
> </mx:Script>
> <mx:ButtonBar id="controlBar" height="20" width="100%"
> horizontalGap="0" itemClick="setAble(event);">
> <mx:dataProvider>
> <mx:Array>
> <mx:String >New Topic</mx:String>
> <mx:String>Reply</mx:String>
> <mx:String>Edit</mx:String>
> <mx:String>Delete</mx:String>
> <mx:String>Save</mx:String>
> </mx:Array>
> </mx:dataProvider>
> </mx:ButtonBar>
>

> </mx:Application>
>

> Regards.
>
> On 11/3/06, jamiebadman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to disable a button on a buttonbar but I'm getting an
> > error... here's what I have:
> >
> > <mx:ButtonBar id="controlBar" height="20" width="100%"
> > horizontalGap="0" itemClick="buttonBarClickHandler(event);">
> > <mx:dataProvider>
> > <mx:Array>
> > <mx:String>New Topic</mx:String>
> > <mx:String>Reply</mx:String>
> > <mx:String>Edit</mx:String>
> > <mx:String>Delete</mx:String>
> > <mx:String>Save</mx:String>
> > </mx:Array>
> > </mx:dataProvider>
> > </mx:ButtonBar>
> >
> > Then I have this:
> >
> > import mx.controls.Button;
> >
> > private function setAccess( accessLevel:String ):void {
> > switch(accessLevel) {
> > case "core":
> > Button(controlBar.getChildAt(1)).enabled = false;
> > break;
> > default:
> > trace("Error setting button states: Out of range");
> > }
> > }
> >
> > The error I'm getting is:
> >
> > "Call to a possibly undefined method getChildAt through a reference
> > with static type mx.core:IUIcomponent."

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: