From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com on behalf of hank williams
Sent: Sat 11/4/2006 5:44 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: Structuring a collection of Flex apps in a tomcat
webapps folder

Ok, looking at this somemore, I think this is most likely a design bug
in flex builder.

There is no reason for flex builder to prevent the user from
specifying any folder he likes for the build output. For FDS
applications, it seems the flex builder is limited to generating
compiler output in a folder that is inside the web application
folder. While the intentions are good, FDS should certainly not
prevent the user from placing the output in root of the web
application folder and not in a folder inside the web application
folder.

in other words flexbuilder will build this

webapps
mywebappfolder
myflexappfolder
yada.html
yada.swf

but flexbuilder will not build this:

webapps
mywebappfolder
yada.html
yada.swf

which makes it very hard to make an app domain
www.appname.com

instead of
www.appname.com/somefoldername

without apache or some other indirection

Regards
Hank

On 11/4/06, hank williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:hank777%40gmail.com> >
wrote:
> It sounds like you are letting FDS compile for you on the server. I am
> compiling on the client.
> To restate, hopefully, more clearly my problem, it is as follows:
>
> I want my swf and html output files to be inside:
> webapps/<serlvet-name>
>
> instead of:
> webapps/<serlvet-name>/<flex-app-name>
>
> I am not able to get flexbuilder to do this. The place to do it would
> be in the properties panel for the flex-app->Flex Build Path -> output
> folder.
>
> But the dialog requires me to enter a folder name which will be placed
> inside the <servlet-name> folder. When I try to leave this field
> blank, which would, conceptually, achieve the goal because the screen
> states that the path is relative to <servlet-name>, flex builder
> generates an error. Entering a full path i.e. C:\..., I dont get the
> error, but flexbuilder refuses to compile the app.
>
> The reason I want to do this is so that my url does not need to be
>
> www.somedomain.com/flex-app-name
>
> Thanks
> Hank
>

> How
> On 11/2/06, Nick Rothwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:nick%40cassiel.com> >
> wrote:
> >
> > On 1 Nov 2006, at 22:22, hank williams wrote:
> >
> > > I dont see how you avoid this since servlet containers require that
> > > the WEB-INF folder be in the root directory of the application, but
> > > this is not how flex structures things. With Flex/FDS there is the
> > > your webapp directory which is inside webapps, and then a sub
> > > directory, for the flex application
> >
> > I'm not sure I follow. I have FDS in Tomcat configured with
> >
> > webapps/<MY APPLICATION>/WEB-INF/ (and then flex/, lib/ etc.)
> >
> > and
> >
> > webapps/<MY APPLICATION>/<mxml files>
> >
> > and the context prefix is <MY APPLICATION>.
> >
> > In any case, I tend to solve URL mapping issues by bolting Apache on
> > the front of the app and using the reverse proxy module...
> >
> > -- N.
> >

> > nick rothwell -- composition, systems, performance -- http://
> > www.cassiel.com
> >

> > --