Hey thanks for answering Mike.  I already have it working that way, but it seems like WAY too much work when all I want to do is call a function and pass some parameters.

Once I saw someone mention the possibility of using the "actionscript:myFunction()" approach, it seemed MUCH cleaner.  My problem with the event approach is this - how do I pass parameters?

Here is my current test code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml " layout="absolute" creationComplete="initApp()">

    <mx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
            import flash.text.TextField;
            import flash.events.TextEvent ;

            function initApp() {
                txtArea.addEventListener("link", clickHandler);
            }

            public function clickHandler(e:TextEvent):void {
                lstBox.text = e.type + " " + e.text;
            }
        ]]>
    </mx:Script>

    <mx:TextArea x="528" y="96" width="544" height="244" id="txtArea"/>
    <mx:TextArea x="528" y="348" width="544" height="211" id="lstBox"/>

</mx:Application>

Anyone?

THANKS!
-Pat