Hey John,

Aral Balkan has some examples that might prove helpful in your quest...=)

P E A C E

Hasan

On Nov 6, 2006, at 6:18 AM, mts_link wrote:

Ok, I'm making the move from Flash/PHP to Flex 2, but have run into
a "n00b" question and I have been unable to find an answer.

When I use actionscript via the mx:Script tag IN the mxml file, I can
access the components without much problem.

Example:
public function getTestInput()
{
trace("Value of Text Input: " + testInput.text);
}

In the MXML page I have a text input with an id of testInput. The
moment I move this same code into an external actionscript class, I
can no longer access this variable.

I know, it certainly has to do with scope, but how do I directly
access the mxml components from within my external actionscript
class? I have seen mention of parentDocument and parentApplication,
but I cannot seem to get this to work for me.

Can anyone shed some light on this and perhaps provide an example, or
a link to an example?

Thanks!

John Cornett