Thank you all very much for you help, I will look into those two solutions.

On 11/6/06, Tracy Spratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

However, if you have hundreds of components, you still might wind up with a very big swf.  Deferred instantiation saves memory and improves startup performance but it can't help with swf size.  You may need to look into dynamic control creation, or runtime loading.

Tracy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ups.com] On Behalf Of Dave Carabetta
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 5:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]ups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: Flex 2 Question

On 11/6/06, Eric Fleming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am at the beginning stages of learning Flex 2 but I cannot find any
> information about this online. If I have an application that has 5
> tabs and when you click on a tab it will load a different form in each
> tab. Is there a way that the form can be loaded at runtime so that if
> you only click on two of the tabs, the other three are never loaded?
> The reason I ask is that I work with a fairly large html application
> that has hundred of pages and putting that into one swf would be a
> huge burden on our servers and also make the user wait longer than
> they need to when as much of 80% of the application will not be used
> on the session. Any help would be appreciated as I may be stuck in
> the request/response world still and I am just missing something
> obvious.

Eric,

The default behavior of the multi-view components such as the
TabNavigator, ViewStack, and Accordion tags is to use deferred
instantiation of the content, so you're already set up to do what you
want out of the box. For more information on the creationPolicy
attribute (which drives this feature), check this page out in the
LiveDocs:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/00001428.html

Regards,
Dave.