Yes, it's possible. Check out SWFLoader. The 9 SWF will be accessible/programmable through the content property of the loader. A basic example:

Flex
-----------
private function initSWF(event:Event):void{
    someSWF.content.addEventListener("clicked",clickHandler);
}

public function clickHandler(event:Event):void{
    var button:String = someSWF.content["clickedButton"];
    //do something with the returned data
}

Flash
-----------
var clickedButton:String = "";

someButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, clickHandler);

function clickHandler(event:Event):void{
    clickedButton = event.target.name;
    dispatchEvent(new Event("clicked"));
}

HTH...=)

P E A C E

Hasan

PS - initSWF is the event handler for the loader's complete event and don't forget to import flash.events.*;