Hi Jamie,

I'm a Cairngorm newbie, but it looks to me as though this is simply a
case of trying to cobble preexisting code (your SWC) into a framework
that it wasn't designed for. In such a case your current fix, though a
kludge, may be a reasonable solution, even if not really
Cairngorm-compliant.

Your only other option may be to completely rework your SWC so it fits
into the framework. But this may not be possible. So much of the
Cairngorm model consists of using data binding from model to view, and
I'm having trouble imagining how one could implement binding from model
to SWC. But now I'm moving into an area where I'm pretty ignorant, so
I'll shut up.  :-)

In any case, if you do find a Cairngorm-compliant approach, please do
post it. Then we'll all learn. :-)

Thanks,

Douglas

Jamie O wrote:

> My view has a SWC component within it, so parsing the XML in the
> command or anywhere within the program is not an option. I pass the
> XML to the component and call it's parseXML method() to have it
> update. I did manage to find another thread much earlier in this
> discussion that - although not recommended from an encapsulating code
> best practices point of view - temporarily resolves my issue. In my
> command I execute the views component method directly:
>
> Application.application.viewstackNameHere.getChildByName("viewNameHere").ComponentID.ParseXML();
>
> Later on, I'll get some consulting time with someone smarter in the
> ways of cairngorm and Flex than myself to help re-factor the code and
> post the 'proper' method to this. From what I've read it is an issue
> for a number of others.
>
> Thanks,
> Jamie

<*> Your email settings: