A bit of a change of subject, but how would I call the remoteobject tag in
actionscript?

<mx:RemoteObject method="myMethod" result="myMethodResult(event)" fault="
Alert.show(event.fault.message)" />
In AS3?

On 11/27/06, Ben Densmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   Hi Stephen,
you pretty much have it. Steps 1 and 2 can be done in any order. You can
do your Flex layout first if you want and then write your CF code or vice
versa, that part doesn't really matter.

I'm not sure what your trying to bind your data to but say you had a
datagrid that you wanted to populate from data returned from a CFC.

There are several ways to do this but the easiest way I found is to use a
<mx:RemoteObject> tag with your method name and a result to return your data
to:

<mx:RemoteObject method="myMethod" result="myMethodResult(event)" fault="
Alert.show(event.fault.message)" />

Now you can either pass arguments into that RemoteObject or just call it
as is.

In your ActionScript code you need to have your results method to populate
your grid. First you need to declare a Bindable variable so that your grid
has something to bind to.

[Bindable] public var myResult:Object;

public function myMethodResult(event:ResultEvent):void {
       myResult = event.result;
}

One warning I would give is- if you need to do any type of Array functions
this method will not allow that. You would need to either use the
<mx:ArrayCollection> to convert it to an ArrayCollection or return your
query results as an array and set your variable to an ArrayCollection
datatype.

Now to populate your datagrid you would just do:

<mx:DataGrid dataProvider="{myResult}" >
                                <mx:columns>
                                 <mx:Array>
                                     <mx:DataGridColumn
headerText="Column1" dataField="column1"/>
                                    <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column
2" dataField="column2"/>
                                    <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="Column
3" dataField="column2/>
                                      </mx:Array>
                                </mx:columns>
                            </mx:DataGrid>

This way may not be best practice but to get you up and running this
should help. If you need anymore help just let me know.

Ben