Is it possible to create custom package-level functions the same way
e.g. flash.utils.getDefinitionByName is implemented?

The flash.utils package defines several functions that can be imported
directly - I'd like to implement some utility functions by using the
same approach but I end up getting compiler errors when I try to create
a package that contains only functions but no class body, i.e. this does
not work

package foo
{
  public function bar():void
  {

I haven't checked the language specs on those constructs but at least
the built-in functions work the same way.

Dirk.