I've got a SWFTag coldfusion tag I've made that's a handy shortcut
for embeding flash 8 or less swfs into a page with syntax that feels
similar to an an HTML image tag.

Unfortunately, it requires that I know the explicit width and height
of the swf, and set them as attributes.

SWFTag uses SWFObject at present, and, as such I've had little
success getting SWFObject to embed a flash 9 flex published swf onto
the page.

I've low-jacked the generated HTML Template from Flex, and
incorporated it into my SWFTag, so if it's a flash 9 SWF, it uses the
a massaged Flex HTML Template - but that still requires that I a)
tell the custom tag that it's a flash 9 swf, and 2) know the height
and the width.

Ideally, I'd like to let developers just type the equivolent of
<skin:SWFTag source="/swf/mySWF.swf"/> and leverage coldfusion to
somehow magically read in the version of the SWF, and its
width/height.

I had a bit of a look into the CFXImage tag - but it doesn't seem to
support SWFs.

So - anyone got any clues about the potential magic that is Adobe
owning Flex, Flash and ColdFusion so they'd provide some sort of
mechanism for me to read in version and dimensions of SWF files on
the server?

Let me know if I'm reaching - I'm trying to include a buncha Flex 2.0
optional components into the lastest version of the ColdFusion
Content Management System "FarCry" - which is produced at the place I
work. The easier I could make it for developers/clients to use swfs,
the better it'll be for the company I work for, and Adobe.

Come on Mike Chambers - etc - you boys have gotta have some tricks up
your sleeve that I haven't found after hours of googling :D

Reargards,

Grae Hall

Senior Designer
www.daemon.com.au